by Pavlo Sidelov13 May 2021 ★★★★★
Why I read it: I already have several years of experience working as a software engineer in digital payments. Want to start adding theoretical background to the understanding I’ve gained via my work.
Why I read it:
- It was easy to read.
- It improved my understanding of concepts like issuing bank and acquirer and the overview of the card payment flow.
- Before reading this book, I have never thought about disadvantages of working with physical money like the costs of securely transferring them between locations. I just took the move to cashless societies for granted.
- I got a little ego boost as a lot of stuff in this book was already familiar to me.
What I disliked:
- The book is very broad, structured as rather short chapters on different topics, so there was no feeling of continuous read.
- The book is written for an entrepreneur who needs to choose the correct payment options for a new product. I was expecting a more generic technical overview.
- Majority of examples were from Eastern Europe, it would have been more exciting to read about payment systems I’ve worked with.